Worried that your Microsoft Xbox One X fan is loud? It does get distracting, doesn’t it?
Indeed, a common problem that many gamers face with the console is the loud fan.
No worries, though! It’s normal. It just gets irritating sometimes.
Mark our words. The loud Xbox One fan can ruin the experience for you.
So here’s a guide with some tips and tricks on how to lessen the console noise!
What Does the Xbox One Fan Do?
The Microsoft Xbox One X is known to render video with hyper-realistic graphic models, but it does take a toll on its GPU.
The Xbox One X is built to have backwards compatibility. This means that its system is built to play games made for the original Xbox and the Xbox 360.
Sounds perfect for the dedicated Xbox gamers, but it does have some problems.
Doing this requires a lot of energy, and it really does get hot in there. Rendering high-quality game graphics generates A LOT of heat.
To prevent the console from overheating, the cooling fan redirects the heat away from the console.
What Causes an Xbox One Fan to Make Noise?
Your Xbox One is programmed to monitor its own temperature levels. This is to prevent the console from overheating and melting some parts of it.
When the system detects a higher temperature, the Xbox One fan runs faster.
Your Xbox One may render high-quality video and images for a game, but the motherboard heats up, and the cooling fan compensates for it.
This results in grinding noise from the console. It can get too hot when you use it.
Xbox One Fans Loud?: 3 Simple Solutions to Keep Them Quiet
The noise can be really distracting and can disturb others. Sometimes it ruins the gaming experience.
Some players don’t mind it, but it does become a problem if the fan sounds like a JET ENGINE upon startup.
An easy solution to this is getting a fan replacement. You could do it by yourself if you know the console well.
But the noise doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s a problem with your Xbox One.
Here are 3 ways and things you can do to reduce the noise of your Xbox One fan.
1. Put the Xbox One X Console in a Cool Room
The easiest and most basic solution for the Xbox One fan noise is to put it in a cool room. The heat build-up resulting from playing a game causes the fan to generate more noise.
If your Xbox One is in a part of your home that doesn’t get much air, this might be the problem.
Find a place where there is adequate air circulation. Put the console on top of a table or shelf that has a bit of open space.
A cooler environment might be the thing your Xbox needs to lessen the fan noise. You might want to place it in an air-conditioned room to reduce the console heat.
A good wall-mounted shelf is perfect for this issue. But if you have the budget, you could always invest in an Xbox stand.
An Xbox stand is built with cooling fans that make no sound and can lessen the load from the internal Xbox One fans.
Alternatively, you could always place the console in a different room to block out the noise. But you’ll need extra wires for the Xbox to stay connected to the TV.
2. Clean Xbox One Console
Keeping your Xbox in a place that’s prone to accumulate dust may be the issue. The dust build-up can cause the fan unit to make a loud noise.
The accumulated dust can block the cooling paths of the Xbox, forcing your fans to put more effort into cooling it down.
Using a microfiber cloth is more effective as it’s specially made to pick up the tiniest specks of dust without the help of a liquid agent.
The microfiber cloth also has a gentle surface that prevents any scratch from occurring. Make sure you use it and not just any regular cloth.
Before you start cleaning, here are some things to take note of:
- Make sure your Xbox One isn’t plugged in.
- Do not open your Xbox when cleaning.
- Never use water or liquids for cleaning dust. Having the battery and controller exposed to water or liquid will cause more problems.
- Never use damp wipes. Use only dry materials when cleaning the dust from your Xbox.
A Guide to Cleaning Your Xbox One
- Unplug your Xbox and remove all the batteries from the controller. Place the Xbox in a dry place.
- Use your microfiber cloth to wipe down dust from the outside of your Xbox. Wipe the dust down in one direction away from the Xbox ports.
- Once the Xbox One exterior is free from dust, take the can of compressed air with its smallest nozzle. Use this for cleaning the dust out of the Xbox ports and openings.
- Only use short bursts of air when cleaning the dust.
- Place a pin through the gap when cleaning tiny openings. Do not push too far, just enough to get rid of the dust blocking the airways.
- You can use compressed air to clean the dust away from the disc tray and USB ports.
- Recheck the exterior for any leftover dust and clean it again with a cloth.
It is recommended that you do this regularly to keep the dust from piling up in your Xbox.
Routinely tidying it and keeping dust from accumulating should prevent the Xbox fan from producing a lot of noise.
Deep Clean Your Xbox One
If your Xbox fans still produce noise after clearing all of the dust out of the device, deep cleaning might be the ultimate solution.
It sounds risky to do it at home. But it’s easier than it looks!
- Make sure to turn off and unplug your Xbox One.
- Handle it with care. Turn it over and carefully unscrew the outer shell, and lift it out.
- Once the cover is removed, unscrew the 5 more screws found on top of the device and remove them. These are the long screws that keep the internals intact.
- Use tweezers to remove the single ribbon cable from the front. Carefully pull the console backward to remove the bottom cover.
- Flip it again and unscrew the last set of screws. Remove the metal cover.
- Once you see the fan and heat sink, you can use the compressed air again to blow out any dirt.
- You can choose to remove the fan completely. All you need to do is to remove the power supply and disc drive first.
- If you see the two connector cables, gently remove them before you fully remove the fan.
- You can now thoroughly clean your fan and heatsink.
- Once you’re done, you can now put it all back together. Return the fan, power supply, and disc drive. Screw the cover onto it.
Dirt in the fans and hard drive area of the device can result in heat getting trapped inside. This can be the reason why the fan produces a loud noise.
After deep cleaning it and assembling it all again, you can now plug it, turn it on, and play your game without the loud fan.
Some people might be too scared to do anything with the internals of the device. You can choose to bring it to a repair shop or a game store.
Some of these stores offer repairs and services for both Xbox and Ps4 consoles.
If you’re bringing it to these shops, check your device’s warranty. You might get to save and have it serviced for free!
3. Replace Xbox One Fan
If you’ve tried everything and the fans still make a lot of noise, then dust and dirt might not be the problem.
One solution is to replace the fan. You can buy a fan replacement from hardware stores.
This process is similar to the steps listed before.
- Turn off your Xbox and have it unplugged.
- Open your Xbox carefully, starting with the screws. Remove the bottom and top shell.
- Use tweezers to remove the cables from the front. Carefully pull the console backward to remove the bottom cover.
- Remove the power supply and hard drive to reach the fan. Make sure to handle the cables with care.
- Carefully remove and disconnect the fan from the motherboard.
- Replace it with a new one and put it all back together in one piece. Make sure all the internal parts are securely placed.
- Connect the cables to their respective ports and screw back the outer shell properly.
- Feel free to plug it in again and play a game.
Again, you can choose to do it by yourself or bring it to a repair shop where trained people can help you. Microsoft can service you for free if your Xbox’s warranty is still valid.
If it’s still noisy, listen to where the sound is coming from. Maybe it’s not the fan that needs to be replaced.
It’s possible that some of the internal parts are loose and moving. In this case, you’ll have to have the device repaired.
How to Take Care of Your Xbox One
It’s inevitable to keep your Xbox from getting dirty, so make it a habit to clean the console every day. This helps in lessening the noise from the fans in the long run.
Here are some tips and tricks to minimize the dust build-up from your console.
Keep the Console in a Well-Ventilated Area
Ensure that you put your Xbox in an area that has good ventilation. Keeping it in an enclosed shelf or closet will make the dust settle more.
It would be best to put it in an open area where it’s easy to regularly clean and maintain. Having good ventilation also helps keep the heat flowing away from the console.
The ideal way to store your device is on a shelf where it’s easily out in the open. This way, you can easily spot dirt and clean it immediately before it accumulates.
Use Dust Proof Covers
Investing in a dustproof cover will keep your Xbox clean when it is not in use. It will block the ports and minimize the amount of dirt that will enter and settle on the device.
Though, do keep in mind, remove the dust covers when you’re going to use the device. Keeping it covered while it’s turned on will trap heat within it.
This will keep the fans working double time and make it noisy again.
Most gamers dream of getting their hands on an Xbox One without annoying fan noises.
However, its ability to render high-quality graphics comes at the cost of noisy fans to compensate for the heat it generates.
Routinely keeping the device clean and placing it in a well-ventilated area will keep the fan noise on the low.
We hope all the tips and tricks in this article were able to help you solve the noisy fan!
Feel free to share this with your fellow gamers if they’re experiencing the same issues.
OTHER SOUND REDUCTION GUIDES:
QUIET TECH PRODUCT REVIEWS: